Easiest Ice Cream Pie
Ice Cream Pie (Scroll down for printable recipe!)
Chris’s grandma Pauline clipped this basic recipe from a magazine, probably in the early 1980s, judging by the food photography and yellowing of the paper. The original instructs how to make ice cream sandwiches with the “dough”, but Chris remembers her always making an ice cream pie with it. Aside from buying one from Baskin Robbins, this is the easiest ice cream pie you’ll ever eat.
Use any ice cream flavor, but we really like Neapolitan style with vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. (Make your own strawberry ice cream for extra points!) Buttered pecan and coffee ice cream would also be grand. This homemade maple frozen yogurt would taste great! Expect two hours of prep time, including freezing time, for a single flavor pie; plan on 3-4 hours if you want to do layers because each layer will need to freeze 30-60 minutes before spreading the next layer.
Easiest Ice Cream Pie Recipe – PrintablePrint
Easiest Ice Cream Pie
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1/2 cup Karo syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
- 3 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 2 pints ice cream (mix up flavors)
- Optional: whipped cream, honey roasted nuts, fruit
- Lightly oil a deep dish pie pan (or 4 mini pie pans)
- Heat syrup and peanut butter in the microwave in a large bowl for 30-45 seconds, mix together well. Stir in the Rice Krispies.
- Press mixture into prepared pan and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Spread softened ice cream into pie crust and re-freeze for 1 hour. For a layered effect, spread one flavor about an inch thick, freeze 10-30 minutes, then spread another layer.
- Serve slices with whipped cream and chopped honey roasted nuts or fruit.
- Store leftover pie in the freezer, tightly covered with foil or plastic wrap to keep the “flavors of the freezer” from seeping into your pie.
Rice Krispies crust? That’s genius! Hell, the whole thing is really genius. I love your suggestions for substitutions. Banana nut ice cream would probably work, too. And how about substituting almond butter or Nutella for the peanut butter? I wonder if mascarpone subbing for the peanut butter and coffee ice cream for the strawberry would make for a great tiramisu ice cream cake? And don’t they make chocolate Rice Krispies or am I thinking of Cocoa Puffs? (it’s been decades since I’ve bought breakfast cereal)
Ooh, mascarpone, eh? That’s an interesting idea. I think you are thinking of Cocoa Pebbles… which I think are similar to RK but kind of like flattened RK. I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever had them but that’s what the look like they are. Whatever they are made of, I’m sure it would work in this! Oh! Maybe Fruity Pebbles with a rainbow sherbet.
This is YUMMY, thanks Pauline..isn’t it funny how some of those old recipes taste so good ,glad you guys made it to Ca. and look foreword to more fun videos and great recipes with you guys
Thanks, Deebee! This really is the easiest ice cream pie and SO GOOD. I’m really excited to start making videos again, too.
Making this pie right now. Thought maybe Nutella would be a good switch up for next time. This time like you I’m honoring the original recipe first corn syrup and all 🙂
Mmm! I bet Nutella would be good! Hope you like the pie, Jennifer 🙂
I am so excited that I found this recipe! My grandmother used to make this and I could never find the recipe when I was grown. She had since passed away and I couldn’t even find the recipe in any of her books and boxes. I made this and it was such a great reminder of her and her cooking that I admit I cried. But, it was great because it was as if she were here again making it for me. And now, it’s another one of my child hood treats I can share with my own kids and grandkids!!! Thank you!!!
Oh how wonderful, Tonya!! 😀 I’m so happy to share something that meant so much to you! Food is fantastic way to keep our memories close to heart.
Have you tried maple syrup instead of Karo? Thinking I don’t want an over-powering honey taste so maybe maple syrup will work…
I haven’t, but let me know if you do!