Easy Coconut Curry
This is a basic Thai coconut curry and it’s a good recipe to know because it’s very accepting of most vegetables, even the ones that no one likes. I like carrots and snow peas and bell peppers but maybe you like broccoli and eggplant and green beans. Someone else might like mushrooms and bamboo shoots and celery because they’re a total weirdo. But we don’t need to fight! All those vegetables are perfectly fine!
The seasoning is simple: ginger, garlic, lemongrass, lime juice and fish sauce. Fish sauce is in most grocery stores now, near the soy sauce. (If you use Red Boat brand fish sauce, this recipe is also Whole30 approved.) If you can’t get fresh lemongrass, don’t worry about it; add a little bit of lime zest instead. And if you happen to have a jar of Thai curry paste (any color) in the fridge, you can add a couple teaspoons of that, too. But you don’t need to go out and buy it.
Serve this easy coconut curry on its own as a soup, or over cooked rice or cauliflower rice.
About the coconut milk, I use full-fat coconut milk when I make this because it’s more “restaurant style” but if you’d like a lower fat coconut curry, use low fat coconut milk instead and reduce the chicken stock amount to half or you’ll end up with a watery-textured curry.Print
Quick Coconut Curry
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- 13-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1” length of fresh ginger, very thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, lower 2 inches thinly sliced
- 12 ounces chicken breast (thinly sliced) or tofu (cubed)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 3/4″ thick (1 cup)
- 1 cup snow peas or cut green beans
- 1/2 cup bell pepper strips
- 1 Roma tomato, cut into 6 wedges
- 4 green onions, cut into 1/2 inch lengths
- handful cilantro and/or Thai basil leaves
- 1–2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Combine coconut milk, broth, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and thinly sliced chicken in a medium pot and cover. Bring to boil over medium heat. Watch that it doesn’t boil over.
- Uncover and add carrots (add tofu now if you’re making with tofu). Let cook at a hard simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered, until carrots are slightly tender.
- Add snow peas and bell pepper. Simmer 2 more minutes.
- Stir in tomato, green onions, herbs, lime juice and fish sauce. Taste for seasoning. You may want to add salt or more lime juice. Serve as a soup or over rice.